Sunday, August 10, 2014

Thinking About 5e

Not the map of the world, but same sort of place
When we finish our current Weird Adventures campaign, some of my players have expressed interest in giving 5th edition a try, which appeals to me too. In honor of a whole new edition, I've been thinking of trying a little bit different sort of setting. Instead of doing another variation/evolution of my high school setting, I think I'll do something a little more whimsical, maybe?

Something that apes the concern for serious world-building (or lack thereof) found in the pages of Sword & Sorcery comics of the Bronze Age like Claw the Unconquered and Warlord (I say "apes" because I'll never not be concerned with world-building in some way), a bit of not taking things too seriously like DC Comics' Nightmaster, Scott Driver's Dwarf Land, and Oz; and a touch of Adventure Time gonzo.

Things it will probably have: Post-apocalyptic elements, a (possibly hidden) city of wizards, some variation on the countries I wrote up for Dwarf Land. elemental lands at the cardinal directions, a Demonland of horned people for whom "Evil" is "Good", and reskinned races as well as the standard races.

5 comments:

Jack Guignol said...

I kinda feel like I should run some games in my Gothic Fantasy setting because I've already done so with every new edition from 2e onward. It's tradition at this point!

Trey said...

Well, there is something to be said for tradition, certainly.

Gothridge Manor said...

Our group is digging 5e right now. I think it could easily adapt to a post apocalyptic setting. I was thinking of doing a genre fusion with it also.

Cross Planes said...

I've been so wishy washy about choosing a setting, I'm just running a Planescape game where I can move all over as they try to recover the Rod of Seven Parts. 1st session was on the decapitated head of a dead god in the Astral Plane. Session 2 is a Manor home just outside of Sharn on Eberron. Session 3 will be in Ravenloft...

Chris C. said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Based on what I've seen of the flexibility of the Basic rules, I don't see why you couldn't have a fusion of the elements you mention.